Evergreen Zakes Bantwini still hoping to bag his maiden SAMA gong

Celebrated South African musician Zakes Bantwini is still eyeing his first SAMA accolade and he says people can’t believe he is yet to secure one.

The South African Music Awards event is set to be staged in the North West province this coming weekend and the famed music maker is hoping to land his maiden award.

Born Zakhele Madida in KwaZulu-Natal, Zakes set new records last year alongside Kasango when their song Osama sat at No 1 for 11 weeks on the RadioMonitor SA airplay chart.

The Osama hitmaker has been snubbed for many years and he believes his Osama song can finally open doors for him to get recognised.

On top of that, he leads the list of nominees as he has seven nominations next to his name but he’s not banking on it as per SowetanLIVE.

“Because I don’t have that much experience with awards, I don’t pay attention to them. I’ve done that deliberately because I have been snubbed so many times,” he says.

“Every time I tell people that I don’t have a Sama, they don’t believe me considering my colourful career. The news of the nominations came when I least expected them and in the same breath, I don’t want to put my hopes high that I will win.

“Yes, I hope to win at least one award but I was nominated in 2012 and I still walked away with nothing… Whether I get an award or not, I’m just happy that people recognise my hard work and love my album… that’s the biggest win for me.” 

Following a three-year break before unleashing the album, Bantwini has just landed in Mzansi after a successful international tour of Europe.

Meanwhile, the evergreen singer is nominated in various categories such as the album of the year, male artist of the year, best collaboration, and best-engineered album of the year.

Main Image: Zakes Bantwini/Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/zakesbantwini

The post Evergreen Zakes Bantwini still hoping to bag his maiden SAMA gong appeared first on Entertainment SA - South African Entertainment News, Celebrity and Lifestyle Online Magazine & Entertainment.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post