‘I should have won’ – emotional Anthony Joshua angrily storms out after Usyk rematch defeat

Anthony Joshua was accused of “stealing” Oleksander Usyk’s thunder after a bizarre rant in the immediate aftermath of his 113-115,115-113,116-112 defeat in Jeddah. 

After the result was announced, Joshua threw usyk’s belt out of the ring before appearing to storm off. 

He then decided to return to the squared circle, grabbing the mic to deliver an impassioned speech to the crowd 

Joshua said “If you knew my story you would understand the passion. 

“I ain’t no amateur boxer from five years old that was an elite prospect from youth. 

“I was going to jail. I got bailed and started training my ass off, because if I got sentenced then I would not have been able to fight.” 

“I’m stealing this usyk I’m sorry, but it’s because of the passion we put into this. 

“this guy to beat me tonight maybe I could have done better, but it shows the level of hard work he put in so please give him a round of applause as our heavyweight champion of the world. 

It sparked confusion among fans and pundits, with British boxing great Carl Froch claiming: “He was just trying to speak off the cuff. He put his heart on his sleeve and hopefully didn’t offend anybody, but he did steal Usyk’s moment, and it was a bit strange.” 

Usyk said in the ring shortly after the impromptu speech from Joshua: “I’m sure that Fury is not retired yet. I’m convinced he wants to fight me. I want to fight him, if I’m not fighting Fury, I’m not fighting at all. Only God knows if I will be undisputed or not.” 

Fury had claimed after his sixth-round technical knockout of Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April that he would retire from boxing but he then announced his return on August 12. He has been publicly angling for a third fight with countryman Derek Chisora having won their previous two bouts in 2011 and 2014. 

Main Image: Sky Sports

The post ‘I should have won’ – emotional Anthony Joshua angrily storms out after Usyk rematch defeat appeared first on Entertainment SA - South African Entertainment News, Celebrity and Lifestyle Online Magazine & Entertainment.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post