WATCH: Dr. Malinga weeps and SA tweeps reach out to donate towards tax bill 

South African musician and television presenter Dr. Malinga is trending on social media after opening up his pain to MacG and Sol Phenduka via a podcast. 

Malinga, Doctor Goodwill Malinga, revealed that the taxman, South African Revenue Service, confiscated his furniture as he faced financial challenges and owed them R2.1 million. 

Media reports surfaced last month that SARS repossessed some of Dr. Malinga’s valuable possessions and auctioned them after he defaulted on payments owed in tax. 

Dr. Malinga confirmed that the reports are true, saying the tax revenue authority also took his vehicle and he touched on the amount he was told he owed. 

Famed for songs such as Akulaleki and Via Orlando among others, the gifted singer revealed that he has struggled to keep up with payments because he hasn’t been getting bookings owing to Covid-19. 



“SARS came to my house that I bought cash. They took my furniture and car,” he said in the viral video. 

“I remember SARS called me many years ago to tell time that I owe them R2.1 million (sighs). 

“You know in music, you depend on being booked and there was Covid. I don’t have money, I’m not being booked, I’m not trending. I can’t force people to book me.” 

A number of local social media users have shared the little they have and there are screenshots where some tweeps transferred money. 



Malinga says he paid R1 million and kept on paying what was remaining until Covid hit and scores of South Africans are now sharing their sympathies with the award-winner. 

The musician notes that he pleaded with influential personalities such as Minister Nathi Mthethwa for help but all his efforts failed to yield positive results. 

“In music, you depend on being called for your service. After two years, SARS came. I called Minister Nathi Mthethwa, and we talked. I was calling people that I worked with, but they didn’t come to my rescue,” he added. 

“Auction is painful, I was there, I went there, and then I wanted to say ‘please is not like I don’t want to pay, I don’t have money. I am not being called at gigs and I can’t force people to book me. 

“I’m used to giving, I’m not used to receiving. Every time I give, people don’t come back for me.” 

Image: DR Malinga/Instagram 

The post WATCH: Dr. Malinga weeps and SA tweeps reach out to donate towards tax bill  appeared first on Entertainment SA - South African Entertainment News, Celebrity and Lifestyle Online Magazine & Entertainment.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post