Ex-Proteas Women’s skipper Dane van Niekerk retires from pro cricket

South African women’s cricket star Dane van Niekerk has announced retirement from the game just after the T20 ICC World Cup where she was a notable absentee.

Van Niekerk released a lengthy statement to confirm her decision and the news has also been received by Cricket South Africa.

The women’s all-rounder retires from all forms of international cricket after a career that spanned more than 14 years.

Born in Tshwane, the 29-year-old enjoyed an illustrious international career for South Africa, representing her country on 194 occasions, including 107 One-Day Internationals (ODI), 86 T20 Internationals (T20Is), and a single Test match against India in 2014.

Beginning her career in March 2009, the former Proteas captain recorded 2 175 runs in ODI cricket, with nine half-centuries and a career-best score of 102 against Sri Lanka, while amassing a further 1 877 runs in T20 cricket, notching up 10 fifties.

“It is with great sadness that I announce my retirement from international cricket. It has been the greatest honour to lead and represent my country,” she announced.

“I am incredibly blessed to have led the team through its transformative years. There is no doubt that the women’s game is in an exciting space and looking forward to seeing this beautiful game that I love grow.

“To all the players that I had the privilege to have shared the dressing room and competed with, I will hold on to the memories dearly.

“We are merely custodians of this sport; I hand it over knowing I have given it my everything and that women’s cricket is in a better place than when I arrived. That must be the responsibility of the new group, to always make sure you are improving and making a difference. It is time for me to support the new leadership and wish them all the very best.

“To my amazing family. Thank you for your incredible love and support. From the age of four, you have seen my potential and done everything and anything to help me exceed. I will forever be grateful.

“My wife, Marizanne, you stood by my side since day one. Thank you for putting up with me and all that came with it, but yet, here you are. You are at the pinnacle of your career and it is my time to support you, the way you have supported me. I love you.”

For CSA, Director of Cricket Enoch Nkwe said: “I would like to take this opportunity to graciously thank Dané for all her years of service and contribution to not only the ground-breaking success of the Momentum Proteas over the last decade but to the overall growth and popularity of women’s cricket in South Africa and around the world.”

Looking at her achievements, van Niekerk is one of only six female cricketers to claim more than 1000 runs, 50 wickets, and 50 catches in the One-Day format.

Main Image: Dane van Niekerk/CricketTimes

The post Ex-Proteas Women’s skipper Dane van Niekerk retires from pro cricket appeared first on Entertainment SA - South African Entertainment News, Celebrity and Lifestyle Online Magazine & Entertainment.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post