Legend Teko Modise regrets spending R22 000 on Aston Martin

Retired South African footballer Teko Modise has revealed details of how he misused his hard-earned money and splashed more than R20 000 on his flashy car.


Modise says he had to learn the hard way after spending R22 000 on his Aston Martin sports car while he was contracted to Orlando Pirates.


Nicknamed ‘The General’ or ‘The Navigator’, Modise also played for Bafana Bafana and Mamelodi Sundowns and he was speaking as Nedbank Cup ambassador.


Modise had four cars at the time, and he was forking out R50 000 on designer sneakers, he is now part of the banker with an aim to guide the current crop of players when it comes to money matters.


“I downgraded my lifestyle, and by that, I mean I scaled down on what I was spending,” Modise explained.


“I got a smaller apartment, I sold three of the four cars I had, and instead of blowing R50 000 on sneakers, I would just get one pair. But people started whispering that I no longer had the money, and as a result, I had just one friend left.”


The Soweto-born legend added that moving to Cape Town City helped him to adjust and said he didn’t earn a lot at the Citizens.


He explained that he was one of the highest earners at Sundowns and with bonuses, he could still survive but when he joined a new club – he learned the hard way.


After his retirement, he became a businessman and football pundit with SuperSport TV, he continued to say in football, nobody talks about coping with depression. He also stated that he went and bought a car because he was suffering from depression.

 
“I had no business buying a car that cost me R22 000 a month. But the best education is experience. What I had done taught me a lot about finances in general,” he continued.


Main Image: Teko Modise/TimesLIVE​

The post Legend Teko Modise regrets spending R22 000 on Aston Martin appeared first on Entertainment SA - South African Entertainment News, Celebrity and Lifestyle Online Magazine & Entertainment.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post