Danny K Reflects on Pop Stardom, Dating Across Cultures, and Navigating a New SA

The Award-winning musician Danny K recently took a trip down memory lane on MacG’s Podcast and Chill, sharing stories about becoming a pop icon in a newly democratic South Africa.

The superstar touched on various topics that shed light on his personal journey as an artist and as a white South African embracing the country’s diverse cultural landscape.

MacG, always quick with a joke, referred to Danny K as the “original J’Something,” but with one key difference — J’Something married a black woman, and Danny K didn’t. Danny K laughed it off, responding, “Nothing personal, I assure you. I had some good times, but never got to marry… I did date black women though, so now am I legit?” Cue laughter from co-hosts MacG and Sol Phenduka.

When MacG pressed him about dating a “black girl,” Danny K calmly replied, “The same as dating a white girl.” But he admitted that back in those early days of South Africa’s transition, interracial dating was still somewhat unusual. “We were trying to become something new as a country, but it still felt unusual… I was raised in a home where my parents didn’t care about society’s rules, so neither did I.”

Danny K also shared stories about his upbringing and how his father’s love for music exposed him to different cultures. His first concert? None other than Lucky Dube. “My dad took me to see Lucky Dube, and no one at my school even knew who he was,” he recalled. “I was the only white face in that crowd, and it opened my eyes to different experiences.”

One of his standout memories was performing at a Soweto stadium alongside artists like Mandoza. “I was the only white artist on the line-up,” he said. “At first, I was nervous, but the reception I got was so freeing. From that moment, there was nothing that made me afraid in my career.”

In true “Podcast and Chill” fashion, the conversation took a deeper turn when Danny K discussed his experience with white privilege in South Africa. “It’s a tricky topic,” he admitted. “For younger South Africans who’ve grown up in a free country, the concept of privilege can seem alien. But I grew up seeing what it did for my parents, especially my father, who found success in business because he didn’t have the same challenges black South Africans faced.”

As the conversation wound down, Danny K also touched on Nelson Mandela’s legacy and the global takeover of amapiano music, showing his respect for both South Africa’s political icons and its cultural innovators.

Main Image: African Music Library

The post Danny K Reflects on Pop Stardom, Dating Across Cultures, and Navigating a New SA appeared first on EntertainmentSA News South Africa.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post